1977 Renault 17 TS
The Renault 15 and Renault 17 were two variations of the same car designed and built by French manufacturer Renault between 1971 and 1980. They were effectively coupé versions of the Renault 12. The main difference between the two cars was their headlight configuration - the 15 had two rectangular headlights whereas the 17 had four round headlights.
The Renault 15 and 17 were presented at the Paris Motor Show in October 1971.
The chassis and most of the running gear came from the Renault 12, while the 1565cc 108bhp engine in the more powerful R17 TS and R17 Gordini models was derived from the engine in the Renault 16 TS. Though the mechanicals of the cars were derived from other Renaults, the body was completely new; Due to superstitions, the R17 was sold as R177 in Italy. The R15 and R17 remained in production until 1979 when they were both replaced by the Renault Fuego.
TimelineOctober 1971: Introduction of the Renault 15 and Renault 17 two-door coupes. The R15 TL had the 1289cc engine from the Renault 12 (rated at 60bhp), whereas the R15 TS, R17 TL and R17 TS all had the 1565cc from the Renault 16 TS (rated at 90bhp for the R15 TS and R17 TL, and at 108bhp injection for the R17 TS). The R15 TL, R15 TS and R17 TL all had a 4-speed gearbox whereas the R17 TS had a 5-speed gearbox.1973: Fabric sunroof available on R17 TL and TS.1974: R17 TS engine upgraded to 1605cc.1975: R17 TS renamed R17 Gordini.March 1976: New R15 and R17 ranges introduced as follows: R15 TL, R15 GTL, R17 TS and R17 Gordini. The R15 TL/GTL were mechanically identical to the earlier R15 TL, while the R17 TS and Gordini had the 1647cc engine from the Renault 16 TX.1979: R15/17 production ends.
Renault 17 TS model 1977 gallery
- 2000 Renault Espace 2.2 dCI 16V
- 2000 Renault Vel Satis 3.5 V6 Initiale
- 2002 Renault Grand Espace IV 3.0 dCi
- 2000 Renault Espace Initiale 2.2 dCI 16V
- 1998 Renault Laguna Nevada RXE 1.6 16V
- 1989 Renault 21 2.0 Turbo Quadra 4-door
- 2000 Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 dCI
- 2002 Renault Laguna 2.0 T
- 1999 Renault Scenic RXI 2.0
- 2000 Renault Modus Concept
- 2002 Renault Espace IV 2.2 dCi
- 1991 Renault Scenic Concept
- 1997 Renault Pangea Concept
- 1995 Renault Initiale Concept
- 1990 Renault Laguna Concept